The stonemasons have now started fixing the second course.
The fountain was originally erected in 1866 outside the Church of St Lawrence Jewry near Guildhall as a gift to the City of London from the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association. It was designed by architect John Robinson and the bronze sculpture was carried out by the artist Joseph Durham. It was dismantled into approximately 150 pieces and put into storage in the 1970s during the redevelopment of Guildhall.
The fountain was restored and rebuilt at the eastern end of Carter Lane Gardens at the south of St Paul’s Cathedral.
Harris Digital Productions recorded the project for the City of London Corporation and has set up this website to show the various stages of the restoration.
The St Lawrence Jewry fountain was located just to the west of the Guildhall Yard, and south of the Guildhall itself, in the City of London.
A description of the fountain published in The Builder, 16 June 1866, describes the memorial as in ‘the Pointed style or architecture which prevailed in Italy during the fourteenth century’.
The water fountain of the monument was designed as a sculpture that actively pumps water into a dish, when a metal knob was pushed.
The Metropolitan Drinking Fountain Association was founded in 1858 by Samuel Gurney M.P.