The fountain was originally erected in 1866 outside the Church of St Lawrence Jewry near Guildhall as a gift to the City of London from the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association. It was designed by architect John Robinson and the bronze sculpture was carried out by the artist Joseph Durham. It was dismantled into approximately 150 pieces and put into storage in the 1970s during the redevelopment of Guildhall.
The fountain was restored and rebuilt at the eastern end of Carter Lane Gardens at the south of St Paul’s Cathedral.
The project was completed in August 2010.
A substantial portion of the original fountain stonework was re-used and supplemented with new matching carved stone where the original stone had been lost or damaged beyond repair. The original features, a bas relief of Moses striking the Rock and a stone bowl underneath, have been retained. The fountain has been built on a new plinth with two steps to match the historical setting of the original fountain by St Lawrence Jewry Church.
Harris Digital Productions recorded the project for the City of London Corporation and has set up this website to show the various stages of the restoration.